29.11.07

Stevie Ray Vaughan...A Moment In Time...

( Stevie Ray Vaughan and LX )

Here is a photo that I am grateful to have. Around the early to mid 80’s we, (Crowbar and King Biscuit Boy), played a show at the now defunct Roller Gardens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. On that same show was an up and coming guitar player/singer named Stevie Ray Vaughan. His music was catching on like crazy in the blues community and I was already a massive fan and trying to find out as much as possible about him at that time before this opportunity came about. As Rod Serling would say… “Imagine, if you will, a guitarist sitting at home by the record player, lifting licks and phrases by one of his guitar heros, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and then getting a call that he will be playing on a show with the said Mr. Vaughan…welcome to the Twilight Zone…” lol



Needless to say I was thrilled and went to the show very early with the hope of just getting to meet Stevie Ray. Well…I got way more than I had bargained for. Not only did I get to meet him, I got time to sit and talk and play for a bit. For those that aren’t aware, there is in general, a lot of time spent waiting around when doing a show. Waiting for your gear to get set up, sound and light people to do their “thang”, sound check, and various other delays and/or problems to be solved before a show. Playing the show is often the shortest part of being there. Anyway…to continue…we sat in the dressing room and talked about everything blues and I bugged him to show me some of the licks and phrases I had been working on at home. He was very gracious and I got to play # 1, the Stratocaster that he used the most, and did enjoy every single second of it. It was of course, over way too soon, and he was on to a well earned and deserved fame as one of the most influential guitarist of our time.



Since that time I have read and found out much about Stevie Ray. I still follow the tribute websites and try to procure recordings, photos, etc. I have been a fan since I heard the first note. Nothing will ever change that. I wanted everyone to know that Stevie Ray was really kind to me, took the time to show me a few things without acting like I was a bother to him, and made me feel like a “comrade in arms” as one guitar player to another. I have always, and will always be grateful for that. Thanks Stevie, wherever you are, for a moment in time, some encouraging words, some licks and phrases played the right way, and a lifelong memory.



I’ll end this with part of a quote from Eric Clapton, another guitar hero that I’d like to meet one day…



“It's going to be a long time before anyone that brilliant will come along again. One of the purist channels I've ever seen, where everything he sang and played flowed straight down from heaven. Almost like one of those mystic Sufi guys with one finger pointing up and one finger down. That's what it was like to listen to.”

I couldn't agree more...


No comments: